South African rock pigeon shooting 2024
Rock pigeons are found in astounding numbers throughout the Free State in South Africa, the Rock Pigeon (or ‘African grey Grouse’) is a fantastically exciting pigeon to shoot! These flighty erratic rock pigeons dive and twist with displays of acrobatics at speeds of 80 mph, challenging to even the absolute best of game shots. South African rock pigeons are utterly unique, like no other bird you could shoot anywhere else in the World, considered the ultimate challenge in the world of pigeon shooting.
Driven Pigeon Shooting In South Africa rock pigeon numbers peak at Easter, making the last two weeks of March and the first two weeks of April the best time for high volume, driven pigeon shooting in southern Africa.
The southern African Rock Pigeon is not a “game bird”, nor is it a Dove, but a pigeon with incredible speed and airborne agility, enabling rock pigeons to out-jinx any situation. South African rock pigeons make driven red Grouse shooting look decidedly easy in comparison!
Popular inhabited regions for South African rock pigeon shooting, are primarily mixed crop farming areas with nearby mountain ranges and cities, these hunting areas are also particularly rich in Upland game birds & waterfowl.
Southern African rock pigeons and mixed Upland game and waterfowl shooting.
Your shooting skills will be tested by rock pigeons shot over sunflower stubble fields, using decoys and walked-up Duck and Snipe in marshlands. The best South African rock pigeon shooting is March and April for high-volume rock pigeon hunts; however, the best Game Bird shooting opportunities are from 1st June to 15th September, which coincides with the open season in the Free State of South Africa.
The absolute best time of year to shoot South African rock pigeons over decoys, combined with Upland game birds and waterfowl, then August and September are prime months.
Wingshooting rock pigeon hunts are social occasions, combining friends and family, ideal group sizes 4 to 8 people. Four Season Rock pigeon shooting holidays can personally bespoke your South African rock pigeon shooting trip to suit any team, however…our most popular wing shooting packages are listed above on the South Africa web page.
South African pigeon shooting 2024
South African rates for rock pigeon shooting
6 Days - 6 Nights
Food & Drink
South African rock pigeon shooting package prices and rates 2024
Overview: South African Rock pigeon hunting description
Sunflowers rustle in the light South African warm winds that blows directly in your face, you can feel the warmth, even though the sun has only just risen in the African sky, you can feel the heat building throughout the morning. The camouflage netting blind in which you stay hidden makes you invisible to oncoming rock pigeons, with a shouted warning “no sudden movements”, absolute essential when shooting South African rock pigeon.
Four seasons can offer you a truly unforgettable experience, tailored specifically for each client’s pleasure!
What's NOT Included
South African rock pigeon shooting itinerary
- check-in 3 hours beforehand at terminal 5, London Heathrow at 15:20 for departures to South Africa with BA55
- check-in 4 hours beforehand at terminal 5, London Heathrow at 14:24 departures with a Firearm to South Africa with BA55
- BA 55 departure times 18:20 local time
- BA55 landing at Johannesburg Tambo International Airport at 7:25am local time.
- Four seasons shooting holidays representative will meet you at arrivals and escort you to your airport transfer vehicle to the Lodge, Alternatively should you be carrying a firearm you will be escorted to the local airport SAPS police station on-site at arrivals to complete your import export permit for your firearm taking approximately one hour, you will then be escorted to your overland airport transfer vehicle or internal connecting flight.
- Overland JNB airport to lodge transfer travel time five hours including a 30 minute lunch and toilet break.
- Four seasons Lodge check-in at 1:30 PM accompanied with coffee tea and snacks.
- Evening meal will be served from 7:30 PM
- Drinks served at the bar with open area seating by a traditional log fire till 11 PM
- local goose shooting 6 AM pre-hunt coffee tea and toast in the bar.
- Bloemfontein goose shooting 5 AM pre-hunt coffee tea and toast in the bar.
- Early morning Egyptian goose shooting in South Africa starts at 6:45 AM concluding at 9:30 AM.
- local Egyptian goose hunts return to the Lodge at 10 AM for full English & continental breakfast.
- Bloemfontein morning Egyptian goose hunts will have breakfast in the field.
- Afternoon South African rock pigeon shooting, shot over decoys with a pigeon magnet starts at 12 o’clock and concludes at 3:30 PM
- return to the Lodge from South African rock pigeon shooting at 4 PM.
- 4:30 PM duck & goose fed pond flight.
- Arrive back at the Lodge by 6 PM time for a shower before your evening meal served at 7:30 PM
- Drinks served at the bar with open area seating by a traditional log fire till 11 PM.
- Leisurely morning at the lodge with full English & continental breakfast.
- Depart four seasons Lodge for JNB airport transfer from between 10 am and 12 o’clock midday.
- Overland lodge transfer to JNB airport, travel time five hours including a 30 minute lunch and toilet break.
- Arrive at Johannesburg Tambo International departures at 5 PM
- BA56 departure time Johannesburg Tambo International Airport at 20:10 local time.
- BA56 landing at London Heathrow Airport at 5:30 AM (UK) local time.
Essential South African rock pigeon shooting Information
Tipping & gratuities
We firmly believe that you have paid for your South African rock pigeon shooting holiday in South Africa in its entirety, however should you feel the level of service you received was exceptional by individual members of staff and wish to give a little extra.
Here is a rule of thumb guidance to tipping.
South African Rock pigeon shooting:- tips for staff
- Sporting Agent:- £100 per week.
- Professional Pigeon Guide:- Rand 1000 per week.
- Assistant professional pigeon guide:- Rand 500 per week.
- Chef:- Rand 500 per week.
- Maids & Cleaners per person:-Rand 350 per week.
Tips must be paid directly to each member of staff in local currency Rand.
South African rock pigeon shooting Videos
South African rock pigeon Reviews
South African pigeon hunting 2024
Four Seasons Shooting Holidays – Sporting Agent – Sporting & Hunting Holiday provider
Serving UK, South Africa, Argentina, Europe
57 Windsor Rd, Chobham, Woking GU24 8LD, United Kingdom